Please click the following links for information regarding the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award for 2022|2023:
The Duke of Edinburgh Award (DofE) is the world’s leading achievement award for young people, and is recognised by colleges, universities and employers. It promotes personal development through participation of leisure time activities, designed to encourage young people to learn new skills, help others, and experience adventure in the outdoors. The ethos of the award is to enable every young person to take part in the programme and succeed, no matter what background he or she comes from.
There are three progressive programmes which, when successfully completed, lead to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Award. Students create their own DofE programme by finding a volunteering, physical and skills activity of their interest, before undertaking a final assessed expedition after undergoing a training day and practice expedition. Here at Rednock School the DofE journey begins in Year 9 for those that are interested in taking part, at Bronze level, and continues in Year 10 at Silver level and concludes with Gold in Sixth Form.
Benefits of the DofE
Completing a Duke of Edinburgh Award is a fantastic opportunity that allows students to continue current activities or new skills as part of the physical recreation, skills and volunteering sections of the award. It also allows students to make new friends and develop their teamwork skills, which are important throughout the rest of their education and beyond. Completion of the assessed expedition and the whole award gives a great sense of achievement.
Duke of Edinburgh Award at Rednock School
You achieve an award by completing a personal programme of activities in four sections:
Undertake service to individuals or the community. This develops compassion, commitment and the confidence to make a difference.
Improve in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities. This develops fitness, enjoyment and, depending on the activity, teamwork.
Develop practical and social skills and personal interests. This helps young people to realise their unique potential and gain greater self-esteem.
Plan, train for, and complete an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad. This develops teamwork and leadership, and challenges young people to push themselves beyond their expectations
At Rednock School we offer the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels:
The timescales are as follows:
Bronze – Volunteering section: 3 months
– Physical section: 3 months
– Skills section: 3 months
– Expedition section: 2 days/1 night
Silver – Volunteering section: 6 months
– Physical and Skills sections: One section for 6 months and the other section for 3 months
– Expedition section: 3 days/2 nights
Gold – Volunteering section: 12 months
– Physical and Skills sections: One section for 12 months and the other section for 6 months
– Expedition section: 4 days/3 nights
– Residential section: Undertake a shared activity in a residential setting away from home for 5 days and 4 nights.
Mrs Porter (DofE Manager)
“At Rednock we have a keen team of adults who help oversee the administration of the scheme, liaise with providers and the DofE.”
Dates for your Diary 2021 – 2022
- 22nd September 2021 – Year 11 Silver Programme, Q and A Session
- 29th September 2021 – Presentation to Year 12 and 13 Students
- 29th September 2021 – Year 10 Bronze Programme Meeting
- 13th October 2021 – Silver Programme – Information Evening for Parents / Carers and Students (6.30pm)
- 30th October 2021 – Silver Programme – Payment Deadline
- 24th November 2021 – Bronze Programme – Training for students afterschool / Parent’s DofE Presentation Evening (6.30pm)
- 2nd and 3rd April 2022 – Bronze Programme – Practice
- 9th – 14th July 2022 – Silver Programme – Training, Practice and Expedition
- 16th and 17th July 2022 – Bronze Programme Expedition
Watch videos about making the most of your DofE Award. Also included are promotional videos of how to showcase your soft skills on your CV, job applications and at interviews.
You can find more information about the DofE award by clicking here.
If you have any questions please get in touch with Mrs Porter – DofE Manager [email protected]